Commemorative Event For The WWII Medal Of Honor Stamp
Post Office Salutes the Michigan WWII Legacy Memorial
TROY, Mich. (Dec. 6, 2013) –The United States Postal Service, Detroit Region, dedicated the World War II Medal of Honor Forever Stamp Prestige Folio at the Kilgour Scottish Centre. The Post Office also unveiled a commemorative envelope or “cachet” to accompany the stamp which prominently featured a rendering of The Michigan WWII Legacy Memorial. The cachet also featured a special cancellation stamp depicting the USS Arizona as the event was the held the day before Pearl Harbor Day.
The program was sponsored by the UAW-Ford and featured:
- Kevin Tolbert, UAW Administrative Assistant and Executive Director, National Ford Department
- The Honorable John Pappageorge, Michigan Senate, 13th District
- Lee Thompson, District Manager, United States Post Office, Detroit Region
- Debi Hollis, President, The Michigan WWII Legacy Memorial
- Russell Levine, Vice President, The Michigan WWII Legacy Memorial
The event featured the memorial’s first field trip in the form of a special program for children that covered the current mail system as well as mail delivery during WWII. Veterans from WWII, Korea, Vietnam along with current active duty Marines also spoke to this group the about the importance of mail while serving overseas. The students wrote mail to US service members using WWII “V-Mail” stationary.
Click here to learn more about V-Mail.
Click the image below to see the picture slideshow of the event.